In August 1945 (year 34 of ROC), Taiwan was retroceded. War damages meant bad shape everywhere in Taiwan; Baoan Temple was no exception. At the time, Baoan’s management had either passed away or drifted apart, the temple was left unattended. In 1950 (year 39 of ROC), with the retreat from Mainland, some 130 households of military and refugees landed at Baoan Temple. They occupied the east wing’s Buddha hall, the west wing’s Child-bearing Goddess hall, as well as the rear hall where the Five-grain Emperor resides. Only the main door of the front hall was left passable.
In 1952 (year 41 of ROC), local elderly scholars organized the “Interim Committee for Baoan Temple Reorganization;” Huang Tsan-chun was put to be in charge of the task of renovation. In June 1957 (year 46 of ROC), the committee was reorganized as “Baoan Temple Management Committee;” Lin Gung-chen took over the committee chair. After Lin’s numerous soliciting efforts, Taipei city government in 1966 (year 55 of ROC) agreed to allocate funds. The military households were finally relocated; their illegal structures were torn down to make room for the restructure. In 1967 (year 56 of ROC), the rear hall was re-built. As the old, unfinished figurines of Five-grain Emperor were burned, brand new ones –including Confucius’— were sculptured.
Two more activities of Lin Gung-chen’s re-organization at Baoan Temple: One was to set up an altar for conducting extra sensory perception and alchemy. The other was to publish Shih-lin Shen-hsiu Hall’s True Scripture of the Great Tao. With relatively small volume, it was suitable for reciting and had become Baoan Temple’s important classic. At the same time, Baoan Temple also published Biography of Immortal Wu, which tells the life of Baosheng Emperor.In November 1961 (year 50 of ROC), Lin Kung-chen made plans for the temple grounds: an enclosing wall, a 卍-shaped bridge, as well as some landscaping. Baoan Temple began to show some nice form, but fund shortage suspended part of the project. In July 1974 (year 63 of ROC), Lin passed away.
Twenty years under the leadership of Lin Kung-chen, Baoan Temple not only rapidly resolved the post-retrocession disorders, but also established many constructive and innovative measures. With its new look and growing number of incense-burning whorshippers, Baoan Temple re-assumed a landmark position among Taipei area’s temples. After Lin Kung-chen’s passing (in July 1974), Baoan’s development had turned into a new phase. The re-organization of the temple included personnel changes and incorporation.
In February 1975 (year 64 of ROC), new regulations were introduced. Temple member’s qualification was defined. 25 committee members were selected, with seven alternate members and seven supervisors. The new management committee officially got registered.
In October 1977 (year 66 of ROC), regulations for incorporation and donation were approved. On March 24, 1979 (year 68 of ROC), the first board was established with 25 trustees and seven supervisors.
In 1979 (year 68 of ROC), a four-story social education center was under construction in Baoan Temple’s backyard; the fourth floor was to be the Towering Treasure Hall. Upon its completion on January 12, 1984 (year 73 of ROC), an enshrinement ceremony was conducted, complete with three worshipping services.
Year 1981 (year 70 of ROC) marked the 240th anniversary of Baoan Temple; Special Report on Taipei Baoan Temple, edited by Chang Chieh-jen, was published. This book contains Baoan Temple’s founding and successive changes. It also provides first-hand information such as: deities’ enshrinement and stories, relics, customs, couplets written on two columns, and renovation records. Nonetheless, this book has some obvious shortcomings: It mentioned too little regarding the historically significant Japanese Colonization Period and the contribution of Lin Kung-chen. Also, because it misused too many sources and referenced too few outside documents, the book’s values were compromised.
In 1983 (year 72 of ROC), Baoan Temple modified its organizational structure by abolishing the assembly of Temple-member representatives and downsizing to 15 trustees and five supervisors.In November 1988 (year 77 of ROC), Baoan Temple started to re-build its rear building by putting in a Grand Treasure Hall on the third floor and a library on the second floor. The board of directors set up an ad-hoc committee for the construction. The project was completed at the end of 1991 (year 80 of ROC). The 8th day of the 12th moon saw the enshrinement of the Grand Treasure Hall and launched seven days of services that featured prayers for blessing the country and stopping disasters, as well as Emperor Liang’s Repentance. After the reorganization in 1992 (year 81 of ROC), Baoan Temple officially opened up its library.